10 Steps to Make Your Dreams a Reality by Jessica J. Williams
It’s that feeling when you know you were born to do something great, something special, and something unique only meant for you. It often starts as a hint or an inclination towards something greater. Sometimes it can feel like a little spark or a dull flame just waiting to be ignited. Or maybe your little spark has turned into a blazing fire you can no longer contain?
Believe me I know. I’ve been there many times — when I quit my job to sail around the world, when I left my partner to start a new life, when I went back to grad school, or when I started my own business are many examples of me acting on that tiny spark inside.
Whether you feel inspired to quit your job and find a new one, start your own business or a combination of lifestyle changes only meant for you, here’s what you need to do next (from one blazing fire to another):
- Surround yourself with support. Whenever you decide to make a big life change, it’s important to hire a coach, a therapist or a counselor, or a join a support group to keep you motivated, inspired and committed.
- Build a community of like-minded people. You can do it by networking, going to meetups, conducting informational interviews, or joining a tribe. However and whatever works best for you and your situation is fine, just surround yourself with like-minded, kind and supportive people.
- Figure out your mission and vision. Your mission is a statement of your present goal in life, career or business. Your vision is your long-term goal for your future. Figure out what your mission and vision are for your personal brand if you’re looking for a new job or a promotion, or do the work to understand the vision and mission for your business if that’s where you’re headed.
- Know your target audience. If you don’t know who you’re targeting as a potential client or employer, then you’re going to be wasting your time. A target audience is not the general public, employer or client. Narrow, narrow, narrow your work as tightly as possible so that your target audience sees your work and says, “f***k yes!” to you and what you offer.
- Develop your messaging. Your messaging is a set of key statements to support your business, personal brand or career in way that is specifically targeted towards your ideal client, employer or boss. Draft a set of messaging that you can use consistently across all your marketing channels from LinkedIn to your website and business cards.
- Create. Now that you know your mission, vision, target audience and key messaging it’s time to overcome resistance and create the work you were meant to create. This is the BEST PART! Here’s where the fun starts.
- Put your work into the world. Putting your work into the world can feel scary and bring up feelings of vulnerability, so this is where steps number one and two become really important — lean on your tribe, your support system and your coach during this time.
- Rinse and repeat as needed, over and over again. You might find that once you create the work and put it into the world that your messaging isn’t resonating as much as you’d hoped, that your target audience wants something different or that you need to tweak this or that to meet the needs of your potential employer, client and/or your own needs.
- Let it all unravel organically. Expect that things will constantly shift and be prepared to bob and weave to meet things as they come with grace and fluidity. What you will find (and this is very common) is that your work will start to unfold naturally and organically exactly as it is meant to. Meet that unravelling with compassion, love and respect for your creative process.
- Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep getting out there. Sometimes it’s going to be hard — so hard that you’re going to want to quit. Get up. Dust yourself off. And get back out there. That’s the only way you win — if you stay in the fight. And this IS a fight — it’s a war between you and resistance — the only way you achieve, is by staying committed.
If you need help achieving your dreams, I’d love to chat. I work with smart, ambitious women who want to up-level their careers by starting their own business, getting a promotion or salary increase or finding a new job. Contact me today or join my newsletter and get your copy of my free career planner.
BIO:Jessica J. Williams is an award-winning career and leadership coach for smart, ambitious women who want to up-level their careers to achieve more money, success and joy . You can check out her coaching programs on her website at jessicajconsulting.com.